Who we are
The Uganda Association of Women Lawyers (FIDA-Uganda) is one of the leading women’s rights organizations in Uganda and the pioneer of legal aid and public legal education in sub-Saharan Africa.
Formed in 1974, FIDA-Uganda has an established track record of promoting and defending human rights, with a focus on the rights of women with children as beneficiaries of this work.
In particular, FIDA (U) seeks to promote human rights standards as established in international, regional and national human rights instruments and uses a feminist and rights based approach in order to address the underlying causes of abuse, including patriarchy, injustice and exclusion.
As a feminist organization, FIDA Uganda uses multiple strategies aimed at advancing law and policy reform for the protection of women including advocacy, public interest litigation and various forms of public engagement.
FIDA (U) also supports and monitors the Government of Uganda as the primary duty bearer to fulfil its obligation to protect and promote the human rights of women through establishing/strengthening sustainable and effective legal and structural mechanisms.
In particular, FIDA (U) also monitors the justice systems’ adherence to international human rights standards in delivering justice to women.
FIDA-Uganda has observer status with the Africa Human Rights Commission.
Our Thematic Areas and Strategic Objectives
Building Capacity of Cultural Institutions Cultural leaders stand up for land rights of vulnerable women in Northern Uganda
Rose Odongo, is a widow from a polygamous marriage living in Northern Uganda. Her husband’s death brought Rose and her two co-wives face to face with trauma again when the husband’s family members sought to evict them and their children from land they had occupied when married, their only source of livelihood. Rose’s pleas for help to clan leaders in protecting her interest failed as clan leaders supported the common cultural practice….
- RT @Glim_ug: .@FIDA_Uganda Championing 'Women For Women' Campaign #inspiringwomen #WednesdayMotivation #inspired #inspiredtoserve #Motivate…FIDA_Uganda1 week ago
- RT @project_gender: This is a thank you note to every individual that honored our invite to the #GEPLaunch @Mak_SWGS @MakerereU @unifogUg @…FIDA_Uganda1 week ago
- RT @LaspnetUganda: We are all set for the launch of our report on compulsory land acquisition management in Uganda at Sheraton Hotel. Follo…FIDA_Uganda1 week ago
- RT @AllenAsiimwe1: A great morning spent with female lawyers at the @FIDA_Uganda members forum. Shared on building strategic partnerships a…FIDA_Uganda1 week ago
- RT @kasavukanyama: “See your life in a bigger perspective. What do you own? Do you own a company? Are you limited by guarantee if so what a…FIDA_Uganda2 weeks ago
Our Operational objective priorities
To diversify and raise our income annually by 30% for greater outreach and effectiveness;
To strengthen systems and processes for effective ﬁnancial management, continuous growth and integrity;
To increase staff diversity, improve rewards and enhance their capacity to effectively deliver on the strategic plan;
To strengthen communication systems and enhance FIDA Uganda’s visibility and advocacy on women’s human rights and gender equality’